Thermo Fisher Scientific Scientist I, Production in Madison, Wisconsin
About Thermo Fisher Scientific :
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
As a member of the SelectScreen™ Biochemical Screening Services team, this position will perform high-throughput screening using a variety of biochemical assay technologies to characterize new chemical entities for our drug discovery clients. This position will work as part of a team, following detailed laboratory protocols and analyzing screening data, to deliver high quality, timely data to customers. Candidate must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Experience with HTS, fluorescence-based assays, liquid handling automation, and LIMS are desirable.
• Use basic laboratory skills in biochemistry or a related field to run high throughput screening (HTS) assays with a basic scientific understanding of processes.
• Run daily screening projects with general instruction, good consistency, and strong attention to detail. Utilize state-of-the-art liquid handling automation and detection instruments to complete screening projects in the laboratory.
• Perform basic data analysis and generate reports using established software tools and systems. Ability to identify inconsistencies in data/results.
• Advise senior team members and Supervisor of factors that may affect quality, accuracy, and usefulness of data. Identify potential problems in screening assays and provide ideas for solutions to simple technical problems.
• Support our continuous improvement culture by demonstrating an ability to quickly learn and adapt to new processes.
• Respond to changing priorities and handle multiple projects with overlapping deadlines. Demonstrate a strong sense of urgency to deliver quality results to customers by defined deadlines. Maintain good communication with the team and Supervisor to ensure alignment on priorities.
• Function as part of a High Performance Work Team where issues and concerns are openly discussed, accountability is assigned, and issues are resolved by team members.
• Comply with all company safety regulations and procedures. Participate in all required trainings, completing assigned trainings on time.
• May require sitting at the bench or standing for long periods of time in the laboratory (4-6 hours) to conduct and complete projects.
• May be required to lift, bend, and push objects up to 40 lbs.
• Perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
Nature and Scope:
Position exercises judgment within defined practices and policies for obtaining results. Perform duties in collaboration and in alignment with colleagues and Supervisor in order to effectively execute screening projects. Understand the importance of the position toward Company's objectives. Accuracy is required in performing all functions of this position. Mistakes in work could cause substantial data errors impacting customers.
Works in a laboratory environment involving pipetting and automation, and a desk environment involving computer based data analysis.
• Requires a Technical/AS with 2 years of experience or a Bachelor's Degree with 0-2 years of experience.
• A self-motivated individual that can function both independently as well as part of a team is required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of basic lab techniques, equipment, and materials is required.
• The individual should have a keen sense of urgency to get the job done, excellent lab hands, and be flexible to rapid changes in priorities.
Bachelor degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline, or the equivalent knowledge and experience.
What Thermo Fisher Offers to Employees:
Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits effective on first day of employment
Paid Time Off – Eligible to accrue up to 3 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO), pro-rated based on start date
401(K) Retirement Plan – Company Matching Contribution up to 6%
Shift Premium for 2nd and 3rd shift employees
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.